Sometimes I read thru a few verses in the Bible and almost fall asleep. I may think “that’s interesting, good point made by the Lord there, hmmm, he seemed a bit upset…”. It’s like I have a “damper” on the word of God…something to subdue or deaden the meaning. This is not a good thing.
I just read the first 7 verses of Luke, chapter 12. You have to be in a coma, to not be shocked by what is being said. Listen to a few of the statements.
- “In the meantime, when so many thousands of the multitude had gathered together that they trod upon one another …. trampled underfoot.”(Luke 12:1)“ Excuse me, you’re standing on my head…. hey you just knocked my mother down into the ditch…” Wow, what a scene. Does Jesus notice?
- “Nothing is covered up that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known. Therefore whatever you have said in the dark shall be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in private rooms shall be proclaimed upon the housetops.” (Luke 12:2-3) That should get my attention. How many times did I make a stupid comment about someone in “private”. Can I imagine all my stupid and petty comments being announce to the world. We see what that’s like with the “cancel culture” today, most recently with “private e-mails” of a famous football coach. Yikes, I better watch what I say.
- “I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. (Luke 12:4) Hear comes a guy with a gun into my house…hey, I’m not afraid…you don’t scare me…all you can do is kill me. Hmmmmm, that comment from Jesus should get my attention. Why am I afraid when he says to not be afraid.
- But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear him! (Luke 12:5) I thought God was my father, my friend, my savior…. I need to fear him killing me and then casting me into hell. Wooooooo. What is the Lord trying to tell me?
- “Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.” (Luke 12:6-7) Okay, that’s more like it. God values me greatly and knows me. He will take care of me. His plan for me is hope and salvation and heaven.
I think any one of these verses should grab my attention. Each verse needs some prayer and discernment to understand. It’s said that every verse of the Bible , every statement of the Lord, needs to be understood in the context of the rest of the Bible….. don’t take things out of context.
Let’s not gloss over the words of the Lord, especially when they may seem outrageous or hard to understand. God is speaking to each of us…he knows us and is trying to get our attention and help us. God is a God of Love and every thing he says or does is done in love. It may not seem so at first glance…..but it is. Let’s allow the Holy Spirit to show us how each of these verses and every word of the Lord is said out of love.
And to put your heart at ease, I’m sure that anyone who was “trampled under foot” in verse one, was taken to the divine physician and received a healing touch that more than compensated for the sore toe. And that is very good news.